Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

So  here's my thoughts on Chalk paint I've made myself... I had two recipies for making chalk paint yourself. The first one I tried called for  1 cup of paint, 2 tablespoons of product weather  you use plaster of paris or un sanded grout or Calcium carbonate. I used Un sanded grout. I was not happy with the result I acheived.
It took a long time for the paint to dry, I could see the finish underneath even slighty after 2 coats...  and I had brush marks. SO since this is the hyped Chalk paint that you can paint on anything I mixed up a second batch and put it on over the first attempt. I used the other recipie that called for 1 1/2 cups paint, 1/2 a cup product ( in this case still the un sanded grout) and 1/2 cup hot water. I mixed it up and was pleased with the out come. I still need to sand and seal. I am using minwax paste wax in clear for the top coat. 



What i patined was a  Lane Cedar hope chest from the 50's. It belonged to my mother and has sentimental value, so want to keep it in the family but I do not necessairly want to own it.. It remind me of a mini casket so I had to paint it in the hopes of making it look less like a casket. Let me know what you think. I have a decal on the way to put on the lid I'll put up picures when it's totally completed but for now here's in progress pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment